The Library issues cards at no charge to Richardson, Garland, and Plano residents. Residents in Collin, Dallas, Rockwall, Denton, and Kaufman counties may be eligible for a library card, although reciprocal borrowing fees may apply. The reciprocal borrowing fee is waived for minor students who live within the Richardson Independent School District (RISD) boundaries, but outside of the Richardson City limits. For more information or to ask a question, please feel free to call 972-744-4350 or ask your question using our online form.
The following describes what is required to get a free Richardson Public Library Card:
- Visit the Circulation Desk on the 1st Floor and ask for a registration form. Fill out the form and present it with
- a current picture ID (Texas driver's license, passport, or government issued ID)
- a document showing your current home address. If your valid Texas driver’s license shows where you live now, that is all you will need. If your current residence is not on your driver’s license, a recent utility bill, lease agreement, voter registration, or auto insurance card will be sufficient.
NOTE: Richardson Public Library Cards are NOT "forever" cards; they must be renewed every three years, in person, with a valid photo ID and proof of current home address.
- If you have not yet reached your 16th birthday, a parent or legal guardian must accompany you, and the parent needs to have documentation of his/her current address.
If you are unable to obtain a library card, the TexShare Card program may help you use Richardson Public Library.
- TexShare Cards may be issued by your local library, free, and are honored by Richardson Public Library to allow you borrowing privileges. Please see your local library for a TexShare Card if you live outside the Richardson Public Library service area; learn more here.
- If you have further questions about signing up for a Library Card, please ask at the Circulation Desk (1st Floor)--or call 972-744-4363.