Report a Watering Violation
Effective May 1, 2015, the City of Richardson will switch to its Water Conservation Plan. Even-numbered addresses will be able to water with sprinklers or irrigation systems on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and odd numbered addresses will be able to water with sprinklers or irrigation systems on Wednesdays and Sundays.
Current water restrictions allow even-numbered addresses to water every other Saturday, and odd-numbered addresses can water every other Sunday. The need for water restrictions continues due to the low water level in the North Texas Municipal Water District's main reservoirs.
More on Richardson’s water restrictions is outlined below:
|Last digit of address
||Allowed landscape water day
||Every Other Saturday of the month
||Every Other Sunday of the month
No lawn watering 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Exemptions - The following water usage is exempt from Stage 3 restrictions:
- Excessive water runoff from any landscaped area onto any impervious surfaces is prohibited.
- Watering during times of precipitation is prohibited.
- Use of drip irrigation systems, soaker hoses, and hand watering to protect foundations is allowed. Recommended maximum 2 hours when needed and not during precipitation periods.
- Drip irrigation, soaker hoses, and hand watering of ornamental flower beds and other ornamental landscaping is allowed; hand watering of lawns is prohibited.
- Public athletic fields may be watered as needed.
- The operation of ornamental fountains is permitted.
- Washing of vehicles, boats, trailers, etc. is permitted.
- Newly constructed swimming pools, Jacuzzis and spas may be filled.
- Pools may be drained and refilled for repairs as needed (must follow proper water disposal methods).
- Existing swimming pools, Jacuzzis, and spas may be replenished to maintain operational levels.
- Commercial full-service or self-service car wash facilities, including those at service stations and automobile dealership facilities is permitted.
- Washing or hosing down of sidewalks, driveways, patios, porches, parking areas or other similar paved surfaces is permitted.
- Activities utilizing other sources of water (wastewater, effluent, natural water springs, ponds or deep water wells) are permitted.
- Golf courses may water greens and tee boxes as needed.
- Smart irrigation may operate as needed. A variance is required to operate smart irrigation systems.
- Hydroseeding, hydromulching and sprigging is permitted.
The City’s Community Services Department has inspectors on duty 18 hours a day, seven days a week to enforce watering restrictions. Inspectors will proactively canvass neighborhoods and commercial areas to identify violations as well as respond to citizen complaints, which upon receipt will be dispatched to inspectors in the field for investigation/action.
Reporting Water Abuse
Residents are encouraged to report violations via the MyRichardson mobile application or by calling 972-744-4111.