October 1st, 2009 Richardson Public Library (RPL) instituted a policy of reciprocal borrowing privileges with area public libraries. RPL will offer borrower cards at no charge to residents of cities who offer Richardson residents free borrower cards. Residents of cities or counties that charge a card fee to Richardson residents will be charged a fee equal to the fee their hometown library charges to Richardson residents. This nonresident fee will be waived for minor students who live within or attend schools within the RISD boundaries.
We issue cards to area residents. A card issued by our library is needed to check out materials or use the library computers. With the exceptions listed above, there is no charge for a library card. The following describes what is required to get a Richardson Public Library card:
- If you live in Dallas, Collin or Rockwall Counties or in some communities in Denton County you may register for a Richardson Public Library Card.
- Please go to the checkout desk on the first floor and ask for a registration form. Fill out the form and present it with a picture ID and a document showing your current home address. If your Texas driver’s license shows where you live now, that is all you will need. If your current residence is not on your driver’s license, a utility bill, lease agreement, voter registration, auto insurance card, or printed checks will be sufficient.
- If you have not yet reached your 16th birthday: A parent or legal guardian must accompany you and the parent needs to have the document with his/her current address.
- Richardson Public Library participates in the state TexShare Card Program. TexShare cards are issued by your local library, free, and honored by Richardson Public Library to allow you borrowing privileges. Please see your local library for a TexShare card if you live outside the Richardson Public Library service area. Learn more..
- If you have any other questions about signing up for a library card at the Richardson Public Library, ask any staff person at the checkout desk on the first floor or call 972-744-4363.