Residential Fence and Retaining Wall Construction Information
Office Phone- 972/744-4180 | Fax- 972/744-5802
Address: PO Box830309, Dept.. 0250, Richardson, TX 75083
The City of Richardson requires a permit to construct a fence over 2-½ ft. in height. Retaining walls where the height from the bottom of the foundation to the top of the wall is over 4 feet requires a Texas professional engineer design for the retaining wall and permit. Materials permitted for fences are wood, concrete, masonry, chain link, wrought iron, metal tubing, vinyl, or fiberglass composite. Any other type of material requires approval from the Chief Building Official. Currently, the permit application fee is $30.00.
Download a PDF of this document [PDF]
Circumstances where a permit is required:
- Erecting a new fence.
- Extending an existing fence.
- Replacing 25% or more of the total perimeter of fence.
- To isolate a swimming pool, spa, or hot tub.
General area and height restrictions
- Fences may not be constructed on public property. Fence height is measured vertically from the inside natural or mean grade elevation of the yard.
- Rear yard: limited to 8 ft. in height along the property line.
- Side yard: limited to 8 ft. in height from the rear property line to the front wall of the building.
- Front yard: limited to 3 ft. in height between the front wall of the building and the front property line.
- Corner lots have special conditions based on surrounding property.
- General appearance
- Side and rear yards: solid privacy fencing permitted (0% through vision)
- Front yard: must be decorative in nature and not create a traffic hazard; subject to approval from the Chief Building Official.
- Before erecting fence, property lines must be located and established.
- Fences around swimming pools
- Minimum 4ft. (48 in.) up to 8 ft. in height.
- Must have self-closing gates with self-latching devices located in the upper quarter of the gate.
- No opening greater than 4 in. any direction.
- Separate permit is required apart from the swimming pool permit.
- Requires an inspection upon completion.
- Fence shall not be out of vertical alignment more than 20%.
- Damaged, removed, or missing portions of fence shall be replaced or repaired with materials of a comparable to the remaining portion of fence.