With the approval by Richardson voters of the Legal Sale of Beer and Wine for Off-premise Consumption Only and the Sale of Mixed Beverages in Restaurants by Food and Beverage Certificate Holders Only, the following information is provided for potential applicants:
- A fully completed TABC application must be submitted to the City Secretary.
- Applicants must complete and sign an Alcoholic Beverage Permit Application, supplied by the City Secretary, indicating the location of the establishment and whether the establishment will:
- a. Provide drive-up, drive-in or drive-thru service
- b. Derive more than 75% of its gross revenue from the sale of beer and/or wine.
If either of these conditions exists, a Special Permit (rezoning) will be required to be approved by the Richardson City Council. This type of request requires approximately 10 weeks to complete and is processed by the Department of Development Services. In addition, an establishment that derives more than 75% of its gross revenue from the sale of beer and/or wine, is subject to additional distance requirements as established by Ordinance No. 3581.
- Applications which are not subject to the criteria in 2a or 2b above are required to meet the following minimum distance requirements:
- a. 300 feet from a religious institution (measured front door to front door)
- b. 300 feet from a public hospital (measured front door to front door)
- c. 300 feet from a public or private school (measured property line to property line)
- The sale of beer and wine for off-premise consumption is limited to specific non-residential zoning districts in Richardson. These zoning districts include the LR-M(1) and LR-M(2) Local Retail Districts, the C-M Commercial Districts and certain PD Planned Development permitting retail and commercial uses.
- The City will make every effort to process applications in a timely manner; however, due to the anticipated number of requests, please allow 3-5 days for a response.
Questions regarding the City's application process should be directed to the City Secretary's Office at 972-744-4290. Questions regarding zoning or the Special Permit process should be directed to the Department of Development Services at 972-744-4240.
General questions regarding the sale of beer and wine for off-premise consumption should be directed to the local office of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission at 214-678-4000 or visit their web site at http://www.tabc.state.tx.us.