On October 1st, 2009, Richardson Public Library (RPL) instituted a policy of reciprocal borrowing privileges with area public libraries. RPL offers borrower cards at no charge to residents of cities who also offer Richardson residents free borrower cards. Residents of cities or counties that charge a card fee to Richardson residents are charged a fee equal to the fee their hometown library charges to Richardson residents. This nonresident fee is waived for minor students who live within the Richardson Independent School District (RISD) boundaries.
A card issued by our Library is needed to check out materials or use the Library's computers. With the exceptions listed above, there is no charge for a Library Card. The following describes what is required to get a Richardson Public Library Card:
- If you live in Dallas, Collin or Rockwall Counties, or in some communities in Denton County, you may register for a Richardson Public Library Card. Again, a fee may apply.
- Please go to the Circulation Desk on the 1st Floor and ask for a registration form. Fill out the form and present it with a valid picture ID and a document showing your current home address. If your valid Texas driver’s license shows where you live now, that is all you will need. If your current residence is not on your driver’s license, a recent utility bill, lease agreement, voter registration, or auto insurance card will be sufficient.
NOTE: Richardson Public Library Cards are NOT "forever" cards; they must be renewed about every three years, in person, with a valid photo ID and proof of current home address.
- If you have not yet reached your 16th birthday: A parent or legal guardian must accompany you, and the parent needs to have documentation of his/her current address.
- Richardson Public Library participates in the state TexShare Card program. TexShare Cards may be issued by your local library, free, and honored by Richardson Public Library to allow you borrowing privileges. Please see your local library for a TexShare Card if you live outside the Richardson Public Library service area; learn more here.
- If you have further questions about signing up for a Library Card at Richardson Public Library,
please ask at the Circulation Desk (1st Floor)--or call 972-744-4363.