Thank you for volunteering your time at the Richardson Animal Shelter. The time you will spend at the shelter is a valuable part of keeping our dogs and cats socialized, clean and happy. Your efforts will assist us in maintaining a positive atmosphere and exceptional adoptions.
Below you will find a list of activities that you may be involved in. All of these activities will be supervised by full time shelter staff. Remember, this is a working shelter and you must listen and take your direction from the senior staff and manager.
Every volunteer must complete our 1 hour Orientation Class before they may begin volunteering. We hold the class the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month from 4:30-5:30 pm. If you are late, you will be required to reschedule your orientation class. Seating is limited and pre-registration is required. You must call in advance to schedule yourself in the class. In order to join our volunteer program you must be 18 years of age or older.
- Exercising/Walking/Training adoptable dogs
- Socializing/playing with adoptable cats
- Bathing and grooming adoptable dogs and cats
- Cleaning dog and cat cages
- Cleaning gerbil, hamster, bird, and other small cages
- Cleaning the courtyard
- Feeding small animals
- Picking up waste around the shelter
- Cleaning and disinfecting pet carriers
- Feeding dogs and cats
- Washing and sanitizing food bowls
Forms and Information
- Volunteer Program Release [PDF]
- Community Service Questionnaire [PDF]
- Participation Guidelines [PDF]
- Chemicals and Cleaning Agents [PDF]
Please download and print all forms and fill out before you arrive.
Notice: Not all community service will be permitted. Please contact the Animal Shelter staff for details. You must be 18 years of age to perform community service.