A building permit is required for all structures over 40 sq. ft. Structures 150 sq. ft. or less require an application to be completed with a sketch of the proposed location of structure drawn on the application. All structures in excess of 150 sq. ft. require scaled drawings accompanying the permit application.
The following is a general listing only. For additional information please contact Building Inspection at 972-744-4180.
Accessory buildings not exceeding 150 sq. ft. in area are allowed to be metal, vinyl or wood exterior. Buildings in excess of 150 sq. ft. require 35% masonry on each elevation.
All detached buildings must meet the minimum building setbacks as follows (site specific zoning regulations may dictate a greater setback than noted):
- Minimum 7 ft. from the side property line unless the building is placed such that it can be located entirely within the designated rear yard (rear yard = rear 25 feet of a lot).
- Minimum 20 ft. from the side property line if adjacent to a street.
- Minimum of 5 ft. from the side property if the building is located such that it is located entirely within the designated rear yard line. Side setback can be reduced to 3 ft. with an UL rated 1 hr. fire wall exposure on both sides. Setbacks for a structure within the designated rear yard are measured to the roof overhang.
- Minimum of 3 ft. setback from the rear property line or 18 inches if adjacent to an alley. Setbacks for a structure within the designated rear yard are measured to the roof overhang.
- Detached garages must have a minimum 24 ft. length of pavement perpendicular to the garage door for maneuvering.
- Off-street parking must be maintained, driveways are to be maintained at minimum widths and lengths as required per the City of Richardson’s Comprehensive Zoning Ordinance.
- Building must be permanently anchored to the ground.
The building permit must be approved and posted at the property prior to any work commencing. All contractors must be registered to perform work in the City of Richardson. If you have any questions regarding these requirements, please contact Building Inspection at 972-744-4174 or email your questions or concerns to Building Inspection. Regular office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
411 W. Arapaho Rd.
Richardson, TX 75080
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
|NEW 2015 International Codes and the 2014 Edition of the National Electric Code Adopted|
|Online Permits||Contact Us/ FAQ|
|Monthly Reports||Express a Concern|
|How Are We Doing?||Useful Links|