The Development Services Department is responsible for coordinating review and approval of zoning and development projects within the city of Richardson. The map below indicates projects currently under consideration or approved by Richardson Development Services Staff, the City Plan Commission, or the City Council.
Application Review and Approval
Most development and zoning applications are reviewed by staff before being forwarded to the City Plan Commission and City Council for approval, while others are approved by staff, as noted below.
- City Plan Commission—The City Plan Commission (CPC) reviews zoning and special permit applications, along with applications for variances to Chapter 21 (Subdivision & Development) and building elevations. Recommendations made by the CPC are then presented to the City Council for final review and approval or denial. The CPC also provides final approval on development plans and plats.
- City Council—The City Council reviews and must provide final approval for all zoning and special permit applications during a posted public hearing. The City Council also reviews all variance requests to Chapter 21 (Subdivision & Development).
- Staff—The City Council has authorized City staff to administratively approve minor amendments to previously approved site and landscape plans under specific conditions (see Administrative Approval Process). In addition, several form-based codes provide for staff approval of development plans that meet the regulations of the Planned Development zoning for the district.
Documentation about each development application and administrative approval is made publicly available throughout the development approval process, with links provided in the above map.
- Notice—Per state law, a public hearing notice is mailed to property owners within 200 feet of the property for which the zoning is being requested at least ten (10) days prior to the City Plan Commission meeting, as well as being posted online. The notice indicates the requested change and location for the application.
- Staff Report—The Staff Report comprises information provided to the City Plan Commission and City Council prior to their meetings. The packet includes details on the zoning change or development application for their review, including maps, plans, technical reports, and correspondence received from the public. The packets are posted on the Thursday (Council) or Friday (City Plan Commission) prior to the meeting when the application will be reviewed.
- Meeting Video—City Plan Commission and City Council meetings are broadcast live online and through Richardson’s CITV network.
- Links to the meeting video archives are posted the day after the meeting.
- Where possible, links to the specific section of the meeting video for the agenda item are provided.
- All Consent Agenda items are considered to be routine by the City Plan Commission and are enacted by one motion. Unless an item is removed from the Consent Agenda for separate consideration, there will be no separate discussion of these items and the video link will be to the consent agenda section of the meeting.
- Staff Memo—The Staff Memo is comprised of the cover memo describing the changes made by an Administrative Approval, along with the approved plans.