Wednesday, May 6 at Noon
Monthly audible tests may be canceled due to inclement or overcast weather.
The Outdoor Warning Siren System consists of 22 warning sirens within the Richardson city limits.
Monthly Siren Testing
- Audible testing is necessary to ensure proper operation of the entire system
- Tested the first Wednesday of every month at noon
- Regular monthly audible tests will include approximately 30 seconds of audible siren sound, strobe light flashing and rotation
- Rare 3 minute system tests are necessary to ensure the system will make the full cycle and that all mechanical components will function/provide outdoor notification when necessary
- NOTE: In case of inclement weather, the siren test will be canceled in an effort to avoid confusion between the test and an actual event. Notification of this cancellation will be posted on this page as soon as possible once the determination is made to cancel the test
The Warning Sirens can be Activated When:
The National Weather Service issues a Richardson area Tornado Warning or Severe Thunderstorm Warning with destructive winds at or above 70 mph
Trained storm spotters have reported a tornado with the potential to affect the City of Richardson
Hail of 1.75 inches (golf ball size) in diameter is imminent
Deemed necessary by City of Richardson officials (i.e. in the event of any emergency when officials need to get citizens to move indoors for their safety)
Citizen actions if you hear the sirens when a test is not scheduled:
Seek shelter indoors and turn on local media (local broadcast channels, radio)
Follow directions from local officials including information provided by the National Weather Service
Only call 9-1-1 in case of an actual emergency
You may not be able to hear the sirens indoors or during an actual event due to high winds and weather conditions. Purchase a NOAA All-Hazards Weather Radio to provide dependable indoor warning information to your family.
In an effort to reach our whole community, the City of Richardson has retrofitted all outdoor warning sirens with strobes. Strobes flash when the siren is activated, adding a visual alert component which reinforces the need to take shelter indoors immediately and seek more information.