A permit is required to care for any unrelated children in your home.
You will be required to apply for a Registered Family Home permit; in addition, you will need to apply for a permit from the the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS).
The DFPS has two levels, either LISTED (1 to 3 children in care) or PERMITTED (4 or more children in care).
The maximum number of children allowed by the City of Richardson is limited based on age and relationship to the other children in care, and includes the caregivers children.
The following checklist is a summary of the Minimum Standards for Registered Family Homes. These standards are enforced by the Texas Department of Family & Protective Services. A representative from the City of Richardson Health Department will also visit your home to review basic safety and health practices with you.
- Must be 21 years of age with GED, or a high school equivalent
- Must have a current certificate for CPR (infant & children) and first aid
- Must obtain 20 hours of continuing education per year
- All adult household members must have a negative TB test
Child Enrollment Information Requirements:
- Child's name, address and birth date
- Parent's name, address, and work phone numbers
- Complete immunization records or physician's deferral
- Medical authorization form
- Child's doctor's name, address and phone number
- Permission for water activities and transportation
- List of persons to whom child may be released
- Information about child's special needs (e.g. allergies, disabilities, etc.)
- A signed statement for administering medications
Pets in the Home Requirements:
Proof that pets have been vaccinated for rabies by a licensed veterinarian is required. Pets must be registered with the City of Richardson. Call Animal Services at (972) 744-4480 for information.
Fire Safety Requirements:
- A 40BC dry chemical extinguisher is required; a 2A10BC is also acceptable
- Two (2) unblocked exits are required
- Fireplaces, if used when children are present, must be screened. Open flame heaters are prohibited
- Smoking in the presence of children is prohibited; Matches, lighters etc. must be out of reach
- Toxins, cleaners, medicines (including some cosmetics) and plants must be out of reach or in locked storage.
- Soap and paper towels must be available in the restroom.
- Hands must be washed after each diaper change, after toileting, before food handling, after wiping the nose, etc.
- If a changing table is used, it must be sanitized between uses. You may use a 1:10 solution of household bleach and water (1 part bleach/10 parts water). CAUTION: THIS SOLUTION WILL BLEACH FABRIC.
- Emergency phone numbers MUST be posted near the phone, including: police, fire, ambulance, poison control, Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, parent phone numbers, caregiver's address and phone (in case a substitute is present) and the Child Abuse Hot Line number must be posted conspicuously.