The level of what is reasonable noise is determined by a decibel scale and the frequency of the noise.
Someone using lawn equipment or intermittently operating a power tool on a weekend would not qualify, whereas using a jack hammer or concrete saw would most likely fall under the ordinance.
Construction work is allowed to occur anywhere in the city every day of the week, including weekends. However, the City Council amended the City ordinance regulating noise from such sites to be limited to a reasonable level any time between 6 p.m.-7 a.m. and on weekends.
Noise from construction sites is not limited anywhere in the city between the hours of 7 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday-Friday.
To report loud noise, please call the City's 24 hour response line at 972-744-4111.
Construction noise is in violation of City Ordinance when:
- Continuous and excessive noise exceeds maximum permissible limits between 6 p.m.-7 a.m. any day of the week.
- Continuous and excessive noise exceeds maximum permissible limits at any time Saturday or Sunday.
Examples of construction and excessive noise:
- Compressors/generators (running for an extended duration)
- Use of heavy equipment* (demolition work, heavy excavation, etc.)
- Continuous outdoor use of loud power tools (commercial saws, jack hammers, etc.)
* Vehicle back up warning systems are exempt