Complete creative projects and learn new skills by visiting C-Tech @ RPL on the 2nd floor of Richardson Public Library.
Interested in using the Library's 3D Printer? Have questions about how to use the 3D Printer? Check out the Library's 3D Printer FAQs. For more information, please call us at 972-744-4359.
Please use the Library's Book-A-Librarian form to schedule time to use the equipment in Studio RPL.
Studio RPL is located in the basement and contains:
- Soundproofed A/V room with green screen and video camera, softbox lights, and microphone
- Dell creative laptops with MS Office software, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, Adobe Premier, and Arduino
- LittleBits Coding Kits (use with laptop and the LittleBits Coding program)
- Arduino kits
- MaKey Makey circuit boards
- Sphero SPRK+ robots (use with iPad and Sphero EDU app)
- LEGO Mindstorms
We offer monthly classes on 3D printing using Tinkercad. Check our Calendar of Events to see our next class. Classes are free, although registration is required. For more information and to register, please call 972-744-4359.
3D Printing & Tinkercad – Beginning 3D printing class for ages 13 years old and older.
Tinkercad is a free, web-based 3D modeling program available at www.tinkercad.com.
In this hands-on class, participants will learn:
• to set up an online Tinkercad account
• the basics of 3D modeling using Tinkercad’s geometric shapes
• how to export a finished 3D model so that it can 3D print
• what they need to do in order to print their 3D model on the library’s 3D printer
Patrons should be comfortable using their laptop. Please bring a wired USB mouse and a laptop loaded with the most recent Google Chrome browser which will ensure your success in using 3D graphics. Any older browser will not render the 3D graphics correctly on the laptop’s screen. The wired mouse is required because it is much easier to move around the screen using a wired mouse than it is using the trackpad on a laptop.
3D Printing & Tinkercad – Intermediate 3D printing class for ages 13 years old and older.
Take 3D modeling skills to the next level in Tinkercad. Please bring a wired USB mouse and a laptop loaded with the most recent Google Chrome browser which will ensure your success in using 3D graphics. Any older browser will not render the 3D graphics correctly on the laptop’s screen. The wired mouse is required because it is much easier to move around the screen using a wired mouse than it is using the trackpad on a laptop.
• how to create unique shapes with Tinkercad's tools
• how to reuse and repurpose these resources to save time
• how to export and import models and shape and other 3D printing considerations.
Patrons should have a basic understanding of 3D modeling as acquired in the 3D Printing & Tinkercad Beginner class.
C-Tech offers many different types of technology and equipment to help you learn new skills or with your creative projects. Available for use in the library:
The Library's 3D printer uses computer-aided design (CAD) software to print three-dimensional plastic objects. The printing process takes anywhere from 20 minutes to several days depending on the complexity of the design.
Bits snap together with magnets to create circuits instantly! Have fun learning about circuits and how to create a useful gadget.
- Adobe Creative Cloud 2014
- Microsoft Office
- Arduino software
- Wacom Tablet
- Color Scanner
- Wi-Fi Printing
- Wi-Fi Access
A valid Richardson Library Card is required to use the C-Tech equipment. Internet only and TexShare cards are not accepted. For more information, please call 972-744-4379.