In response to advances in technology and the changing needs of the community, Richardson Public Library endeavors to develop collections, resources, and services that meet the cultural, informational, recreational, and educational needs of Richardson's diverse, multicultural community. It is within this context that the Richardson Public Library offers access to the Internet.
Richardson Public Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed through the Internet and cannot be held responsible for its content. The Internet is a global entity with a highly diverse user population and Library patrons use it at their own risk.
All Internet resources accessible through the Library are provided equally to all library users. Parents or guardians, not the Library or its staff, are responsible for the Internet information selected and/or accessed by their children. Parents -- and only parents -- may restrict their children -- and only their children -- from access to Internet resources through the Library. Parents are strongly advised to supervise their children's Internet sessions.
To be more specific:
- Richardson Public Library does not censor your access to materials or protect you from information you find offensive. There are sexually explicit materials and other information resources that you may personally find controversial or inappropriate.
- Not all sources on the Internet provide accurate, complete, or current information. You need to be a good information consumer, questioning the validity of the information you find.
- The Richardson Public Library reserves the right to terminate a patron's online session and deny Internet service for six months if given cause to believe that the patron has visited inappropriate sites which by local community standards would be deemed obscene or offensive.
- Misuse of the computers or Internet access will result in the loss of your computer privileges and possible criminal charges.
- The Library is not an Internet Service Provider. We offer access to the World Wide Web. We do not offer e-mail accounts to the public. Some features on websites may not function on our machines because of constraints against downloading, storing cookies, etc. that are deemed necessary to secure these machines for public use (in contrast to being set up for one specific person's use).
- A valid Richardson Public Library card will be required in order to use the Internet service.
- For computer usage time limits, click here.
- Those visiting from outside our service area may request a temporary card for access.
- You may not use your own software programs on the Library's computers.
- Users may not download executable programs to the Library's computers.
Warning: Although we use a virus-checker on the Internet Access computers, this will not completely protect you from the chance of getting a virus. Software downloaded from the Internet may contain a virus and you need to have virus-checking software on your computer. The Richardson Public Library is not responsible for damage to a patron's USB drive or computer, or for any loss of data, damage, or liability that may occur from patron use of the library's computers.
- Printing is 15 cents per page for black and white and 50 cents per page for color.
- Users may not use the Library resources to originate communications that harass or threaten any other person.