|Last digit of address||Allowed water day
|0,2,4,6,8 (Even)||Tuesday and Saturday
|1,3,5,7,9 (Odd)||Wednesday and Sunday
|(with sprinklers or irrigation system)|
Summer Water Conservation Plan in Effect April 1
The City of Richardson implemented its summer water conservation plan April 1. The strategy allows for lawn irrigation at even-numbered addresses on Tuesdays and Saturdays and at odd-numbered addresses on Wednesdays and Sundays, with no watering allowed between 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Please water only as needed, based on moisture content of the soil. (Check out www.watermyyard.org for personalized watering recommendations.) For more information on water conservation please call 972-744-4111.
More on Richardson's Water Conservation Plan is outlined below:
- Excessive water runoff from any landscaped area is prohibited.
- Watering during freezing temperatures is prohibited.
- Watering during times of precipitation is prohibited.
- Use of poorly maintained sprinkler systems is prohibited.
- Additional watering of landscape and lawns may be provided by hand-held hose with a shutoff nozzle, drip irrigation and soaker hose. These methods of watering can be done any day and at any time.
- The use of drip irrigation systems, soaker hoses and hand-watering with a shutoff nozzle to protect foundations is allowed.
- Public athletic fields may be watered as needed.
- The operation of ornamental fountains is permitted.
- Non-commercial car washing or other motor vehicles can be done only when using a water hose with a shutoff nozzle.
- Newly constructed pools, Jacuzzis and spas may be filled.
- Pools may be drained and refilled as needed (must follow proper water disposal methods).
- Hosing down or power washing sidewalks, driveways, patios, porches, parking areas or other similar paved surfaces is permitted.
- Golf courses may water as needed.
- Smart or ET Irrigation systems may operate as needed. A variance is required to operate smart/ET Irrigation systems.
Inspectors will respond to citizen complaints, which upon receipt will be dispatched to inspectors in the field for investigation/action.
Inspectors will also send notices when evidence of watering during prohibited times/days is observed. The purpose of the notice is to inform the violator that their sprinkler system is very likely operating on an inappropriate day or during an inappropriate time.
A defendant will not be required to appear in court if issued a citation for a first offense. A defendant may instead elect to plead ‘guilty’ or ‘no contest’ and pay a window fine of $150.
If a second (or subsequent) citation is issued or if a citation is written as an “aggravated offense,” the defendant will be required to appear before a municipal court judge.
Reporting Water Abuse
Residents are encouraged to report violations via the MyRichardson mobile application or by calling 972-744-4111.