SPECIAL PERMIT REQUIRED
A Special Permit (rezoning) will be required if either of these conditions exists:
- Provide drive-up, drive-in or drive-thru service
- Derive more than 75% of its gross revenue from the sale of beer and/or wine.
A Special Permit (rezoning) must be approved by the Richardson City Council. This type of request requires approximately 10 weeks to complete and is processed by the Department of Development Services. In addition, an establishment that derives more than 75% of its gross revenue from the sale of beer and/or wine is subject to additional distance requirements as established by Ordinance No. 3581.
Applications which are not subject to the Special Permit (rezoning) criteria above are required to meet the following minimum distance requirements:
- 300 feet from a religious institution (measured front door to front door)
- 300 feet from a public hospital (measured front door to front door)
- 300 feet from a public or private school (measured property line to property line)
The sale of beer and wine is limited to specific non-residential zoning districts in Richardson. These zoning districts include the LR-M(1) and LR-M(2) Local Retail Districts, the C-M Commercial Districts and certain PD Planned Development Districts permitting retail and commercial uses.
To review the City's Code regarding Alcohol, please refer to Part II, Chapter 4 of the City of Richardson Code of Ordinances.
Questions regarding zoning or the Special Permit process should be directed to the Department of Development Services at 972-744-4240.