Public Information \ Open Records

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Open Records Request Form

How to make a Public Information / Open Records Request

A request must be made in writing according to the Public Information Act.  You can submit your request in a number of ways:

  • Complete the online Open Records Request Form
  • Send an email to
  • Mail to P. O. Box 830309, Richardson, Texas 75083, Attn: City Secretary's Office

Information to include in your request

Information about you:

  • Your name
  • Address
  • Email address
  • Phone number               

Information about the documents you are requesting:

  • Property Address
  • Suite Numbers - required if requesting Certificates of Occupancy
  • Time Frame for search (Examples:  past 6 months; past 5 years;  January-December 2015; Fiscal Year 2016-2017)
  • Any additional information that would help to accurately identify and locate the documents you are requesting


The Texas Government Code, Chapter 552 The Act - The Texas Public Information Act gives the public the right to request access to government information. The act is triggered when a person submits a written request to a governmental body. The request must ask for records or information already in existence. The Act does not require the governmental body to create new information, to do legal research or to answer questions.

Your Rights as a Requestor

  • Receive treatment equal to all other requestors
  • Receive a statement of estimated charges in advance
  • Choose whether to inspect the requested information, receive a copy of the information or both
  • Be notified when the governmental body asks the Office of the Attorney General (OAG) for a ruling on whether the information may or must be withheld
  • Be copied on the governmental body's written comments to the OAG stating the reason why the stated exceptions apply
  • Lodge a complaint with the OAG cost rules administrator regarding any improper charges for responding to a public information request
  • Lodge a complaint with the OAG Hotline

For Police Records

Police department records are maintained independently. To request records from the Richardson Police Department, please contact the Records Division.


ADA Compliance

In accordance with the ADA, the City Secretary's Office will provide copies of requested documents in an alternate format to persons with disabilities upon request at no additional charge.


Contact Information

Patti Tschirhart, Records Coordinator

Make a Request

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer