1. When did Stage 3 Winter Water Restrictions start?
November 1, 2013
2. What are my lawn watering days in Stage 3 Winter Water Restrictions?
Richardson residents and businesses are limited to twice a month watering during Stage 3 Winter Water Restrictions. Watering days for even numbered addresses are on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays and water days for odd numbered addresses are on the 1st and 3rd Sundays.
3. Is there a time of day restriction for lawn watering?
No. Due to concerns over freezing temperatures and unpredictable weather, there are no time of day restrictions on your lawn watering day. We ask that you avoid watering during freezing temperatures.
4. What are the guidelines for foundations and ornamental landscape?
Watering around foundations and ornamental landscape (shrubs, flowerbeds, trees) with a soaker hose, drip system or hand watering is allowed any day at any time as necessary but responsibly. Hand watering of grass is prohibited. Just a reminder, excessive runoff of water and watering during times of precipitation is still prohibited.
5. I need to make repairs to my pool. Can I drain and refill the pool in Stage 3 Winter Water Restrictions?
Homeowners are allowed to drain and refill their pools for repairs as needed. When pools are drained, they still need to follow the proper draining guidelines (drain down their sewer line). Pools may also be refilled to maintain operational levels. No variance is required to refill pools, but if refilling the pool can be deferred for next year, please consider waiting.
6. I see sport fields being watered more than once a week, is this allowed?
Public athletic fields may be watered as needed to meet safety concerns. The Richardson Parks and Recreation Department is switching off irrigation systems as part of normal winter operations.
7. Can I wash my car, hose down my sidewalk and patio in Stage 3 Winter Water Restrictions?
Yes, homeowners may wash their car and hose down paved or similar surface areas around their home any time on any day as necessary. Use a nozzle with a shut off valve when doing these activities to assist you in using water wisely.
8. I need to plant some new landscape or sod. Is this allowed in Stage 3 Winter Water Restrictions?
A variance for 30 days will be granted for new landscape or sod. Variances may be granted either by Michelle Mann (972-744-4228), Cynthia Sandlin (972-744-4220) or Lindsay Turman (972-744-4168).
9. Are car wash fundraisers allowed in Stage 3 Winter Water Restrictions?
Yes. Car wash fundraisers are allowed.
10. I have a hardship and will have difficulty following the Stage 3 Winter Water Restrictions guidelines, who can help me?
In special circumstances, variances can be given. These variances will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the Public Services Director. Have these residents and businesses contact Michelle Mann (972-744-4228), Cynthia Sandlin (972-744-4220) or Lindsay Turman (972-744-4168).
11. I see schools and other large green areas watering on days they are not supposed to be, why?
These large areas have more zones that can’t all be watered in one day.